Merville Estate of 200 acres (not to be confused with Merville House - UCD) is farmed by Mr O’Farrell.
A Ms Eleanor Taylor lives at “Fearney” (Close to St John of God) renamed “Beechpark” and was known for a number of years as the Deaf boys school (The Mary immaculate School for the Hearing impaired).
Lots of industries are showing up in the area around Stillorgan, paper mills, cloth mills, and cotton mills at Dundrum and breweries in Stillorgan and Kilmacud powered by the Owendower, Glaslower river and the Slang. Water mills were dotted along all the rivers in the barony.
We see the development of the mines at Ballycorus on the Loughlinstown river. Lead was smelted here for bullets and also the lead piping for the Vartry water system was made here along with roof sheeting used in many Dublin houses. Sir Hugh Gough was married, aged 28, on 3rd June 1807, at Plymouth, Devon, to Frances Maria Stephens, daughter of General Edward Stephens, R.A.. They had a family of 5 children, 2 sons and 3 daughters.
On November 20th in two separate incidents, The Prince of Wales and the Rochdale (ships) are dashed on the coast after battling all night in strong gales between Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire, resulting in the loss of 385 souls. Both these troop ships were carrying volunteers for foreign service (The Napoleonic war). The bodies from the Prince of Wales were buried in the Merrion graveyard (close to the Tara towers) and the bodies from the Rochdale were buried at Carickbrennan churchyard opposite Monkstown castle. Weston St. Joyce writes a harrowing account of the tragedy including descriptions of mutilated bodies being washed ashore. This tragedy leads to calls for a new harbour to be built.
Penny Post opens in Stillorgan. Brewery is noted as being 1 rood and 20 perches
Northern aisle and tower added to St Brigid’s Church with a loan of £800 from the Board of First Fruits. Henry Darley of Stillorgan Brewery announces an increase in the price of table beer in April of that year. It will now cost One Guinea a barrel.
Catholic Church built in Dundrum.
Rev. Rawdon Griffith Greene is incumbent in St Brigids. Work starts on a new Harbour east of Dunleary, a decision is made to construct two piers and it takes over 40 years to build. George Stephens Gough, 2nd Viscount Gough, was born on 18th Jan 1815. On 3rd January 1846, he married, as his second wife, Jane Arbuthnot (1816 -1892).
Christ Church on Taney Road was opened as a replacement for a smaller church that stood on the same site. Selling pew seats raised funding for the new building, and the sale of 18 pews on the ground and 8 on the gallery raised nearly £400. The architect for the new church was William Farrell.
£600 is spent on adding two school rooms to the St Brigid’s School house and a residence for a Master and Mistress.
The demise of Dunleary started in the 1820's when the building of the harbour created a completely new town to the east, on the site of the present town. The first few buildings of the new town were constructed in the 1820's.
The Sunday school at St Brigids has 60 attendants, 30 male and 30 female. George the IV visits the Dunlery project which subsequently leads to the formal adoption of the name Kingstown.
Population of Stillorgan is reported in a parliamentary report as 1458 of whom 718 are male. 291 families inhabiting 223 houses. 155 in the parish and 68 in the village.
Law passed requiring clergy, other than C of I, to apply in writing to perform a burial service.
Dundrum is the fashionable resort of invalids for the purpose of drinking goats’ whey. "At earlyhours of the morning numerous jaunting-cars convey from the city large parties of visitors to partake of that sanative beverage, amidst the reviving scenery over which the animals have browsed."
Outbreak of Cholera in Kingstown.
Dunstaffnagh is built
Robert R Guinness dissolves partnership in Brewery and it becomes Henry Darley & Co
St Brigids is extended – with a gift of 500 pounds by the Board of First Fruits.
Dublin and Kingston Railway Established. Post Office is run by Mrs Ann Carthy
The Poor Schools at the entrance into the Churchyard of St Brigids. It educates 45 boys and the other educates 35 girls). Bishop Whately is the occupier at Redesdale.
Great storm of Ireland ‘Oiche na Gaoithe Moire’ in December which we now know "as the night of the big wind".
Sir Hugh Gough purchases Seamount and changes the name to St Helens (according to Robert S Rait) in 1851, or it may have been changed by Colonel Henry White from who he purchases it. Viscount Gough, Field Marshal of the British Army. His wife Frances (Maria) opens the gardens to the public. The seaward gardens were laid out by Ninian Niven in terraces and named after the 1st Viscounts various campaigns. At the front of the house, planters were always filled with scarlet pelargoniums.
Tenants are penniless and starving all over Ireland, the famine still reaping its toll, by this time some 8000 bankrupted estates in Ireland have been sold by the encumbered estates court
There are numerous houses built on Grove Avenue at this time. The Allen family sold off several sites around this time and 5 villas were built, one of them was called Carysfort lodge which was demolished in 1985.
The Stillorgan Brewery is leased to Richard Guinness.
The Stillorgan Brewery is listed as being run by Andrew and Joseph Carton.
Clerys was founded as one of the world’s first purpose built department stores on Dublin’s main street, O’Connell Street, in 1853. Over the years it has witnessed many of the most significant historical events in the foundation of the State. Clerys main store is a listed building due to its architectural significance and historic role in the City.
Crimean War (1854-1856)
Rev. Thomas Sill Grey Greene is incumbent in St Brigid’s. An act to amend the laws relating to the burial of the dead in Ireland’ passed.
Harcourt Line is officially opened with 4 stations - Dundrum, Stillorgan, Carrickmines and Shankhill. Mr Scovell of Ferney dies (Buried in graveyard). Blanche Wale (newly married daughter) of Bishop Whately dies on 4th March and is buried at Stillorgan. Bishop Whately’s wife dies on the 25th April and is also buried at Stillorgan (St Brigids).
For Rent "3 malt houses available for rent in Stillorgan, attached dwelling house, gardens and workmen’s cottages on 3 acres. Granite available on site for quarrying."
Archbishop Whately dies at Roebuck Hall.
The Stillorgan Convalescent home is built on a piece of land (8 acres) leased out by Fredrick Stokes to a group of gentlemen who wished to build a refuge/convalescent home. (Walter Berivick, Jonathan Pim and Alexander Parker).
Viscountess Frances Gough dies on the 15th March and is buried in St Brigids. Ecclesiastical furnishers and stained glass suppliers, of Southampton Street, London, active from 1837, Cox & Son designed and executed the Bishop Whately memorial window in Stillorgan parish church, Co. Dublin. The design represemts, in the centre piece. St JOhn recording the revelation "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord", at either side are representations of the four cardinal acts of mercy- feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, clothing the nacked and visiting the sick. The upper part of the window contains a grouprepresenting the ascention of the Saviour in the presence of his disciples.
Benedictine Fathers set up an Agricultural College on grounds where the Leopardstown racecourse is now.
Building of All Saints in Blackrock.
Shiels Homes built by Mr Charles Shiels, 24 homes in total. New Berwick wing to be built at Stillorgan Convalescent home. Lord Gough dies 2nd March and is buried in St Brigids. (age 90).
Rev. Robert Holmes Orr is appointed curate of Stillorgan.
Rev. S George French is incumbent of St Brigid’s (term ends 31/12/1878). Alterations for Henry Dugeon at Stillorgan Priory
(a Tudor style house with an elaborate castellated gateway on the Bray road near Mount Merrion. (previously occupied by Patrick Sweetman - Brewery owner in Francis Street)
St Thomas’ Church built as a chapel of ease to the parish of Taney.
Unexecuted proposal to remove tower, galleries, vestibule at St Brigids’ Church, Stillorgan (DIA)
Sir William Orpen born in Oriel House on Grove Ave. .
Rev Samuel M Harris incumbent in St. Brigids for 2 days 30th Jan to 1st February, followed by the Rev. James Houghton Kennedy.
Stillorgan House demolished. The Carmelites move to Kilmacud Manor and it becomes St Joseph’s Monastery.
Plans for a new Glebe house at St Brigids, Stillorgan. Estimated cost £2,300 James Franklin Fuller architect. (DIA)
St John of God move to Mount Eagle (Stillorgan Castle). Benedictine Monks move out of Leopardstown. Jane Ville becomes Glenalbyn.
Copy of royal license to Robert Crosby Cornwall to take the surname of Lewis Crosby in lieu of that of Cornwall, July 29, 1885.
The Benedictine lands are bought to build Leopardstown Racecourse.
The old glebe house of the parish is sold to James O’Brien and the name is changed to St Ita’s.
Viscountess Jane Gough (wife of George) dies on 3rd February and is buried at Stillorgan (St Brigids).
Dalys move into Kilmacud House (Kilmacud stream becomes known as Daly’s river). George Gough 2nd Viscount dies on 31st May he is buried at Stillorgan (St Brigids).
Sydney George Crawford is born at Stillorgan Cottage on Brewery Road, he took part in the battle of the Somme and killed on active service.
Domestic Staff have to sit at the back of the church of St Brigids.
Trevor Overend (Solicitor) buys farmhouse on Upper Kilmacud Road and calls it Airfield.
Lord Gough son Lord Viscount Gough leaves St Helens . Henry Lee Darley of “Ferney” dies on 4th November.
©2013- 2017 St Brigid's Parish, Stillorgan
content by June Bow & Karen Poff
Sponsored by Sureskills